Sunday, July 26, 2015

Since You Asked by Maurene Goo

The most striking thing about this book for me was that I am sure I've read it before. So if I have, why did I not blog about it? Did I not like enough to include it? I liked it this time, so here we go.

Holly is a sophomore, and it's her first time on the school newspaper staff. Out of boredom, she rewrites a column by one of the editors that rips the school and all the boring, stupid stuff that everyone else seems to love. No big deal except the column accidentally gets published in the paper.

Holly has never sought attention, but now she has lots of it. Some students think her column is funny, others are furious. And the administration...not happy, but decide the newspaper needs a fresh voice that will bring interest to the paper.

Her columns are not the focus of the story; they are just the impetus for the changes in Holly's life: being friendly with the hot popular guy her friends hate, getting love notes from a secret admirer and disobeying her strict parents. Even though some things stay the same (like dealing with her parents and their insistence on sticking with annoying Korean traditions), Holly's life is influx, but with her good friends to support her maybe her won't be so bad after all.

For more info, check out the Indianapolis Public Library catalog and the author's site.



No comments:

Post a Comment