Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I have enjoyed all of John Green's books, so I just knew I would like this one before I even got it in my hands. I was not disappointed. I remember wanting to read An Abundance of Katherines because I was intrigued by the idea of a guy trying to use a mathematical formula to understand why he always gets dumped by girls name Katherine. After reading Looking for Alaska, I was hooked.

After reading the synopsis, a co-worker of mine said this book sounded depressing. I get that - I mean the book is about teens who have cancer. But the characters lift the story above what could be a dark tale. They are trying to be regular teens who not defined by their disease. This is not always easy when they have frequent doctor visits, constant physical limitations and parents who, out of love and concern, hover over them with worried expressions and fear of what may happen to their children.

At the center of the story, we have Hazel who needs assistance to breathe because her lungs are very weak. She meets Augustus at a support group. Their growing relationship drives the story. They become closer through Hazel's favorite book that leaves her with too many unanswered questions. Contacting the author to find those answers becomes a key point for them. Through it all they deal with a disease that could turn on them at any point.

Click here for more info about this book from the Indianapolis Public Library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment